“But I always think that the best way to know God is to love many things.”
~ Vincent van Gogh

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Last Night

I found out my friend died.
We have been expecting this,
still I am wrecked by it,
broken into pieces
and I can’t come back.

This morning
I woke up different,
a different person,
one I don’t know,
clumsy, ungainly stranger.
Nothing fits.

I feel lost like a child,
ugly like a child unloved.
And I don’t care
that I’m doing it wrong,
not looking at the world.

I am the world
and this morning
I woke up wrong.
Pay attention!
Last night everything
went wrong with the world.

6 comments:

  1. 'Nothing fits'. I know that feeling... and how it does slowly ease.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel for you - a much loved uncle also died recently and you have summed up my feelings. Sharing big hugs with you and the hope that time will soften the hard-edged loss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prayers for you Rosemary,and what you're going through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A powerful piece of writing. Sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all very much for your caring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The world of grief has no boundaries - loss takes parts of us and leaves something else in its place. Your poem makes me sad, too, for your lost fiend and for you, Rosemary.

    ReplyDelete