“I always think that the best way to know God is to love many things.” ~ Vincent van Gogh
Please note: I've been forced to moderate comments to discourage spam. As I live Down Under in the Southern Hemisphere, those of you Up Top might have to wait a while to see your comments appear. I may well be asleep when you read and post. Don't panic, nothing's gone wrong and you don't need to do anything – just hang on a little while.

Thursday, January 15, 2015

Reflections on the Tweed

The river is high today.
Lash the logs firmly
for the trip downstream.

She stands on the wharf
wearing a long white dress.
I know she is watching me.

When the new bridge
replaces my ferry,
will I see her again?

Each day she travels
back and forth
yet I do not speak.












The bridge over the Tweed at Murwillumbah was built in 1901. The photo shows the stretch once crossed by ferry.

2 comments:

  1. Whereever I have seen a Ferry, I see a ferry still --in ghost silhouette maybe. It would be pretty neat if the entire scene played and played and played sweetly, just as horrifiuc scenes do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely thought, Susan! According to the history I've heard, the actual ferryman was a middle-aged, married, enterprising businessman. But I was creating fiction.

      Delete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after approval from blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.