“I always think that the best way to know God is to love many things.” ~ Vincent van Gogh
Please note: I've been forced to moderate comments to discourage spam. As I live Down Under in the Southern Hemisphere, those of you Up Top might have to wait a while to see your comments appear. I may well be asleep when you read and post. Don't panic, nothing's gone wrong and you don't need to do anything – just hang on a little while.

Sunday, January 14, 2018

My Name is Rosemary

"Never let anyone
shorten your name,"
said the Sage.
"You need Mary
for your strength."

And since then
I never have –
though, before that,
I liked Rose …
being a rose.

Mary. I ponder –
The Great Mother?
Or the sea?
(Rosemary means Rose
of the Sea.)

Mary the Mother
endured all things,
and was brave;
while the sea
is ancient, wild.

My namesake plant,
that resilient shrub,
has a fragrance
not sweet, but
faintly salt-tinged.

"Don’t," I say,
"call me Rose.
Friends call me
Rosemary." I smile,
and they comply.













Also shared at The Poetry of Three: three words per line on facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated and will be visible after approval from blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.