“I always think that the best way to know God is to love many things.” ~ Vincent van Gogh
Please note: I've been forced to moderate comments to discourage spam. As I live Down Under in the Southern Hemisphere, those of you Up Top might have to wait a while to see your comments appear. I may well be asleep when you read and post. Don't panic, nothing's gone wrong and you don't need to do anything – just hang on a little while.

Thursday, December 21, 2017

At Your Engagement Party

To Adam

I kept taking photos of
your gate-crasher, because
she couldn't resist the music, 
drawn in through open door 
of the party restaurant
to where the guitarist sat, 
in a corner so he wouldn’t be crowded. 
It was all those 
liquid Spanish tunes. How 
could she have refrained, how ever,  
from dancing?

And she was so bright, 
in her shiny, slinky, green-and-yellow dress,
and she clicked her heels Flamenco-style,
and clapped her hands over her head.
And she kept apologising, softly, shyly,
in her foreign accent, but 
she didn’t stop dancing, didn’t stop twirling,
didn’t stop brightening further –
as if under a spotlight …
creating her own spotlight –
the already-festive night.






















(She gave permission for her photo to be used online. 
We never learned her name.)

3 comments:

  1. this is my most favourite of your poems i think, it has brought me true joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is wonderful to know! It is a bit long for a small stone, but the small stone group on facebook has the prompt 'bright' at present. I write lots without reference to the prompts, but this time was so vividly reminded of this woman. I took lots of photos on the occasion, so it has taken me a very long time to go through and edit them if necessary, etc. Will be giving them to Adam on a use in a few days and will hold off posting any others myself until then. Anyway ... I can think of no better use for a poem than to bring you joy.

      Delete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after approval from blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.