“I always think that the best way to know God is to love many things.” ~ Vincent van Gogh
Please note: I've been forced to moderate comments to discourage spam. As I live Down Under in the Southern Hemisphere, those of you Up Top might have to wait a while to see your comments appear. I may well be asleep when you read and post. Don't panic, nothing's gone wrong and you don't need to do anything – just hang on a little while.

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

I Look Around ...

The cats are asleep on the armchairs. The coffee table and dining table are getting piled up with newspapers again. The clock on the window-sill ticks loudly, going slow. The light is bright and warm. There are too many ornaments crammed on the few shelves, and my desk has higgledy-piggledy piles of paper each side of the laptop.

Cluttered and untidy as it is, I like it. I see the items that speak of him and me and the life we live here. There is comfort and functionality. There is art and there are words, words on paper — words, words, words, piles of words. And the laptop and various pens. Over on the far wall is a bookshelf, chockablock. We are writers, we are readers, we are people of the word.

4 comments:

  1. I can picture the room, and I would feel comfortable in those surroundings. I just read a memoir based on objects in the author's possession - it was unusual and you might find it interesting. It makes me see my own surroundings in a new way: The Secret Life of Objects, Dawn Raffel (I have it on the book review page atLive and Learn)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book sounds interesting, Barb. I'll have a look for it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your poem describes the state my home is in too. It brings me peace and comfort to know that I don't have to clear the books, papers, pens, and notebooks off the coffee table. Sometimes my cats do a good job of that for me :) I love "people of the word."

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after approval from blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.