“I always think that the best way to know God is to love many things.” ~ Vincent van Gogh
Please note: I've been forced to moderate comments to discourage spam. As I live Down Under in the Southern Hemisphere, those of you Up Top might have to wait a while to see your comments appear. I may well be asleep when you read and post. Don't panic, nothing's gone wrong and you don't need to do anything – just hang on a little while.

Sunday, March 5, 2017

Guard Cat

Late night, busy morning.
I take an afternoon nap.

Immediately she’s on the bed
beside me as always, but not
purring, not settling to rest.

Head up, ears cocked, 
she’s on guard.
But against what?

I wake later to flashes of light
and violent thunder-claps.















Written for Writing Ourselves Alive, week 1: Curiosity

7 comments:

  1. I don't think I could have slept through such alarm! Amazing picture. Together with the words, my pulse quickened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really my camera flash gone wrong, taken before the storm, but in hindsight I thought it looked like lightning.

      Delete
  2. My cat would have been under the covers at the first hint of thunder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, when it actually got here she went under the dining table for the duration.

      Delete
  3. A wonderful photo. They always know ahead of time. How Pup abhorred thunder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does too, and always hides under the table when it finally arrives. An intelligent choice of safe place, I think. My old cats, Levi and Freya, used to love storms, and always insisted on watching through the open door.

      Delete
  4. They can hear and feel the unsettled air, even if the storm is still a way off. Well captured moment.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after approval from blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.