“I always think that the best way to know God is to love many things.” ~ Vincent van Gogh
Please note: I've been forced to moderate comments to discourage spam. As I live Down Under in the Southern Hemisphere, those of you Up Top might have to wait a while to see your comments appear. I may well be asleep when you read and post. Don't panic, nothing's gone wrong and you don't need to do anything – just hang on a little while.

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Small Cat

compacting yourself
against morning cold

gazing at the window behind us
its garden reflections

yesterday was early Spring this reversal jars
yet you choose to keep me company

let us go inside leaving the garden 
to dream a while longer of warmth to come




















#awakeaugust day 16

Also written for dVerse Quadrille #14: jar

(A quadrille is exactly 44 words, excluding title. I also wanted to experiment with unpunctuated couplets.)


21 comments:

  1. I like your lack of punctuation here, Rosemary, giving it a free-flow of thought, perhaps just exactly like a cat would think. :) I am craving your cold morning. It's ridiculously hot here, even ridiculously early.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the structure of this piece - the short lines flow like thoughts in one's mind. Perhaps even a cat as De said above. Well written. It's been hot here in NJ as well, thought I'm not complaining. I rather be hot than cold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute -- dreaming of the warm to come. How nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how the cat features in this poem. They seem so separate from this jarring world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you do have some warmth already in that shared moment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely! One of the most peaceful calm things to see: a cat curled up in the sun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the intensity of longing here in this poem.. oh to feel the warmth of summer again :D beautiful! ❤


    Lots of love,
    Sanaa

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this, you and the cat dreaming of future warmth. It is 107F here today. I'd gladly trade with you if only you would let me rub Selene. I miss my cat. Such moments are so precious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be whether Selene would let you! But she is much more at ease with new people now.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful - it made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I could feel the warmth in your words, not only of weather but of friendship with a sweet kitty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the image of the garden dreaming of warmth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done! The lack of punctuation left it a bit ambiguous as to who/what was doing the dreaming, but I did mean the garden. :)

      Delete
  12. Awwee how adorable this is. <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love! conspiring not to wake the garden ...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like how you put your poem into couplets...each one telling a bit more of the story. I also like that Selene chose to stay in the garden in spite of the coolness and that the garden was left to dream of warmth to come...sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  15. No friend quite like a cat, is there?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah yes, the change in weather can definitely be 'jarring.' For both human AND cat!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderfully presented, Rosemary. I wish you warmth!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after approval from blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.