“But I always think that the best way to know God is to love many things.”
~ Vincent van Gogh

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Moments of Joy

Seeking moments of joy
in my own home,
I see my aunt’s lace fan.

Yellow flowers, black edging,
a white base that mimics ivory
but isn’t cruel.

My cousin sent it to me
after my dear aunt died
whom I called my second Mum.

Late in life, she saved
and went on cruises,
finding fans in port as souvenirs.

I remember her long letters
about places she saw,
friends made on board

even love, although at last
those ships passed in the night.
The fan is still faintly scented.




5 comments:

  1. Lovely memories, held in that fan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely-those scents left by those gone--so evocative. Thanks. k.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remembrance - an object bringing back memories of those we've loved. I have many objects in my home that make me happy because of who they belonged to before they came to live with me. Thanks for your E-mail, Rosemary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to see you here again, and glad you got the email.

      Delete